You’ve probably heard this before, but I’ll tell you again – your skin is your body’s largest organ and absorbs about 60% of the products applied topically. Sadly, many mainstream companies knowingly inject extremely harmful ingredients/chemicals to the very products that we’re slathering all over ourselves (and worse, our children) all day, every day! To make matters worse, the FDA actually allows it! This makes my blood boil!
Like most new moms, I initially (and now very regrettably) started bathing my first-born daughter with Johnson & Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Wash and followed up with their Baby Lotion with Shea & Cocoa Butter. Let’s be honest, it’s hard to resist that signature clean baby smell of theirs! It wasn’t until the day I did a search on the safety of ingredients in these products and read some pretty scary stuff – so I stopped using them immediately and have vowed only to use safe products on my babies’ perfect skin!
Here’s a list of my favorite non-toxic skincare products for my and my little ones’ sensitive skin:
California Baby | My favorite for eczema relief
“What began as one new mom’s quest for a safe baby shampoo has grown into a beloved collection of more than 80 pediatrician and dermatologist-recommended hair and skin care products for babies, kids and adults with sensitive skin. Join us and our loyal fans on our mission to only create the safest naturally based products to soothe, nourish and smooth out life’s rough patches the green way: one baby, one kid, one family at a time.”
- Therapeutic Relief Eczema Shampoo & Body Wash – fragrance-free and oh-so calming!
- Super Sensitive Everyday Lotion – fragrance-free and wonderfully moisturizing! The combination of these two products worked like a charm to clear up my daughter’s eczema. And, this is my personal favorite moisturizer, especially during the colder months.
- Calming Organic (Non-Talc) Powder – great for post-bath rash prevention in those tough to dry baby folds and rolls.
Acure Organics | Safe products at great prices!
“Acure Organics is a family owned and operated company founded on sustainable principles to provide the highest quality fair trade, natural and certified organic personal care products. Our products are created with great care and are a reflection of our values. Each of our products is free from animal testing, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, harmful preservatives and artificial colors. We travel the globe to find the most potent certified organic ingredients that meet our high standards of efficacy and purity. We thank you for sharing in our mission to have a positive impact on the world we live in.”
- Bare Baby 4-in-1 Foamer and Yummy Baby 4-in-1 Foamer – great fragrance-free or vanilla citrus (so yummy smelling) foaming shampoo and body wash
- All Better Balm – awesome cure-all for just about anything!
- Facial Cleansing Gel, Facial Cleansing Creme – I use the gel when my skin is a little bit more oily and the creme when it’s really dry (gotta love having combination skin) – I alternate between both cleansers because I can’t decide which one I like better!
- Brightening Facial Scrub – if your skin needs a good scrubbing, this is a great exfoliant!
- Eye Cream – I’m always on the quest for a safe, miracle-of-an-eye-cream (damn laugh lines), but I do like this one pretty well.
- Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner – works very well and smells delicious!
- Dry Shampoo – instead of the traditional (and not-so-safe) aerosol canned dry shampoo, Acure’s Dry Shampoo is a powder form and looks just like baby powder. They make a version for Brunettes, too! Pretty cool stuff!
Dr. Bronner’s | My go-to can-buy-just-about-everywhere products
“Today, Dr. Bronner’s continues its mission and commitment to building an engine for promoting and advancing positive social change. From pioneering USDA certified organic personal care products, to creating Fair Trade projects across the world that ensure fair and just treatment of farmers and workers, to creating a socially responsible workplace here in the U.S., we strive to honor our heritage with progressive business practices, while devoting profits to worthwhile causes and charities worldwide.”
- Baby Unscented Pure-Castile Bar Soap – my favorite bar soap
- Baby Unscented Organic Pump Soap – my new favorite 4-in-1 pump soap and great for minimalist husbands – and organic!
- Unscented Organic Shaving Soap – with my super-sensitive skin, shaving with a bar soap is just too drying. I stumbled upon this (on thrivemarket.com) and am kind of in love! No more skin irritation from shaving!
- Pure-Castile Liquid Soap – a liquid hand soap I can actually feel good about and the almond soap smells so good!
Zoe Organics | Amazing can-use-on-just-about Everything Balm
“Zoe means “life,” and our mission is to celebrate and protect the lives of our children, family, community and planet. Zoe Organics uses only the most pure, organic ingredients because we believe in the necessity of eliminating toxins from our bodies and the environment. We also believe that green living doesn’t require that we compromise quality or aesthetics. We practice fair trade and social responsibility, with the goal of enhancing lives in every community we touch.”
- Everything Balm – my daughter absolutely loves this stuff! Her poor little cheeks and lips get really dry, and she would fight me whenever I tried to put anything on her. However, she loves applying this balm herself – I think she likes the “stick”. Plus, like the name says, you really can use it on everything!
Babo Botanicals | Awesome diaper rash cream!
“We believe that it starts on a farm and moves to the face.
And hair. And skin. And lips.
Natural solutions that make you feel good –
in your body and your spirit.
We believe in the potent power of plants.
That what’s good for our inside will also nourish our outside.
We believe in our organic Nutri-SootheTM Complex.
Because we know that serious results
don’t have to come from chemicals.
We believe that people with sensitive skin
deserve amazing products that actually work.
That hypo-allergenic products can be high-performing
without dairy, soy, gluten or high-allergy nut oils.
We believe that if we take care of the earth
the earth will take care of us.
We believe, no matter what
that Family Comes First, Naturally.”
- Soothing Diaper Cream – the scent isn’t my favorite, but I’ve gotta say that this stuff works miracles! It instantly cured my son’s diaper rash…like within one diaper change!
If you’re curious to know how safe your favorite personal care products are, check out EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database to check its ranking here.
Safer skincare is out there (and at pretty reasonable prices, too)! Please do yourself and your family a favor and make the switch to non-toxic brands. Your skin and your health with thank you!