I think it’s safe to say that most household cleaning products are full of some pretty nasty (and unnecessary) chemicals. So, why not limit your exposure when it’s so easy to replace all of those toxic cleaning products with one safe and simple product, that you most likely already have in your pantry – white vinegar.
What I love about cleaning with white vinegar:
- Toxic-Free: considering it’s edible, you don’t have to worry about anything – especially the fear of your little ones getting their curious hands on it.
- All-in-One: one product to clean just about everything – I use it to clean my organic produce and as my household cleaner. Beyond the many cleaning uses, white vinegar has a pretty impressive list of other uses. Seriously, the options seem pretty endless.
- Cost: it’s far less expensive than purchasing traditional (toxic) cleaning products.
The only drawback is the smell – I personally don’t mind it (it just makes me think of safe cleaning), but to many others (like my husband), it’s strong and not especially pleasant. Luckily, the smell dissipates very quickly.
Another cleaning products I use and love:
- Hand soap – Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap
- Dish soap – Eco Me Frangrance Natural Plant Extracts Dish Soap
- Dish detergent – Seventh Generation Natural Dishwasher Detergent – Free and Clear
- Laundry detergent – Green Shield Organic – USDA Certified Free and Clear Laundry Detergent
- Windows/surfaces/base boards/etc. – Norwex Antibacterial Microfiber cloths
- Floors – Eco Me Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner
To me, it’s important to eliminate as many chemicals and toxins in my home as possible, by controlling what you can. And, cleaning products is a very simple way to start living a cleaner life.